Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Obama's first move in the Arab world: LISTENING



In a timely interview with Al-Arabiya news, and signaling a strong break from the Bush administration, President Obama has made it clear that his administration will "start by listening".

According to a transcript of the interview posted on the Al-Arabiya English-language website, President Obama said that he had instructed Mr. George Mitchell (former Senate Majority Leader and current Special Envoy to the Middle East for the Obama Administration) to:

“...start by listening, because all too often the United States starts by dictating... we don't always know all the factors that are involved. So let's listen. ”

I would love to say "I called it!"... but I'm pretty sure my opinion is shared by many people (far smarter than myself) around Washington and, hopefully, throughout the State Department.

No comments: