Friday, March 6, 2009

Trade papers worth reading

Trade policy wonks have their hands full.

On Monday, the Obama administration released their 2009 Trade Policy Agenda, outlining their general strategy on trade for the next year. (Never mind that they don't have a USTR yet.) Unless you want to torture yourself, skip the 100+ page report on trade policy in 2008. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience. That said, it's definitely worth reading the five page summary on trade policy going forward at the beginning.

VoxEU has a phenomenal new e-book on the new "murky protectionism". It is absolutely fascinating reading all the way through, but at least have a look at the introduction. I'd write a much longer post on this if I could. Suffice to say that things have gotten worse since the G20 summit in November, and they could get much, much worse if things don't change.

Go check them out. I want a report on my desk by Monday morning at 8am.

No comments: